Monday 14 May 2012

growing seedlings





Every spare space in the kitchen seems to be taken up with growing seedings at the moment.  I am so pleased with my little tomato  plants,  from  tiny seeds to healthy plants  in only a few weeks gives me such confidence in my growing gardening skills.



My inspiration to provide support was to use straws and they have worked really well.  I have no idea what you are meant to use but the brightly coloured plastic straws look fun on the windowsills.




To add to my tomato, pepper, strawberry and herb  plant collection I bought some runner bean plants at a local WI plant sale, they are starting to really take off.  It has been so cold  at night that I am not sure whether to plant them now or wait a while.  Has anyone got any suggestions, I would be so sad if the cold killed them off!


It will take me a few days to hunt out the garden canes which have been  used for dens and highly dangerous weapons (resulting in them being put  in various confiscated places around the house) since last years crop finished.  I need to clear the  weeds from the vegetable area and then they can go in their earthy bed.


Hopefully soon I can show you a nicer photo of this area at the end of the garden.


The potatoes  are chitted and were planted a few weeks ago, hopefully  the rain has helped them grow, Ruby is maybe not helping them as much!





The poor raspberries next to the shed also need a bit of tending.


In amidst the weeds around my flowering raspberry bushes I spied a pretty little flower.  How pretty did this solitary bluebell look against the backdrop of weeds and overgrown bushes. The first photo is a closer image but can you find it in this picture?  

A reminder to always look for the beautiful in amidst the weeds; a metaphor for much of life!

Gardeners have you put your runner beans in yet, dare I risk it?

What else should I be growing or doing now?


10 comments:

  1. My little man was doing really well with his little veggie garden ... until this morning - disaster ... the radish shoots all eaten, presumably by mice and the cucumber plant gone! Toms are still indoors and doing well so not going to risk putting them out for a little while longer, likewise the runner beans. M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. poor you, what a sad start to the day....totally keeping mine safe inside for a while!

      Delete
  2. No runner beans planted here yet. We're still having frosts and beans hate cold winds too. J went to the allotment on Saturday and people who had planted beans out had lost them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. frost in May....the weather has gone bonkers!

      Delete
  3. We are gorwing some bits and pieces this year too but only our second year ina row. We have some of our stuff out and have had for just over a week and it is doing Ok, potatoes, carrots, broccoli and peas are all out. Cucumber an lettuce still in the kitchen!

    Very envious of your raspberries. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries are so easy - just plant and ignore! Inspired to plant some lettuce too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Grace, it will be worth waiting for your hens, I promise, ours have all got their own little characters, the bluebell is such a diva! Mad dog isnt too bad with them although I wouldnt trust him if they were out of their pen. We have peas, carrots, parsnips, onions, spring onions and lettuce all growing well outside now, tomatoes and cucumber in a makeshift greenhouse that hubby made out of the old windows. Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love the idea of a makeshift greenhouse - not sure it would survive my football?cricket loving kids!

      Delete
  5. I'm not growing runner beans this year, we all prefer French beans so I'm doing three different varieties. Beans will be killed off if there's a frost, which we can still get right up until the end of May, so I wouldn't chance putting your runners out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, was hoping you would pass on your gardening expertise x

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comments, they really do brighten my day!