Tuesday 6 December 2011

Lemon Drizzle

Thank you everyone who gave me such lovely feedback about my last baking post.  I have been doing lots of baking recently,  and am loving using my gorgeous new early christmas present.



It was a massive extravagance. My  funky orange   Kenwood  broke a while ago, it was from the early seventies and had served my mum and then us very well until it finally gave up.  Not wanting to waste the limited family budget I deliberated over buying such an expensive item, until I saw a fantastic offer and having just done some extra supply days gave in to temptation! I am so glad I did; baking has become  much easier and everything  I have made has turned out really well.   


It is just soooo lovely and shiny!

Today I made super easy lemon drizzle cake, using a recipe given to me by a friend many years ago.  We used to be neighbours, were both teachers and both newly married, after a long week teaching we used to share a cuppa and cake with our hubbies on a Friday after school.  This cake always brings back such lovely memories of that happy time. If you want to look impressive with minimal effort, this is the cake for you.



 Nicci's Lemon Drizzle Cake

8oz Self Raising Flour
8oz Sugar
8oz Margarine
4 eggs

1 Lemon
                     3oz  Sugar (for the topping)


1. Mix the Flour, Margarine & Sugar.











Could be done by hand but a bit of an effort


2. Grate the skin of the lemon & stir into the mixture.


3. Transfer into whatever  greased baking tin you have to hand.






The cake works equally well in a bread tin and then sliced when cooked or in a tray bake type tin and then cut into smaller squares, I used both today.



Put into the oven for about half an hour (will be less if in a shallower tin) on 180 degrees C,  it is done when the middle is springy and not squidgy.


4. Take it out of  the oven and put to one side to cool.

For the Topping 

5. Squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl

6. Add about 3oz of sugar to the lemon juice and mix,  the juice absorbs the sugar, if very runny add a little bit more sugar

7. Using a fork make a few holes in the cake

8. Pour the sugar and lemon mixture over the top of the cake, trying to make sure it drizzles evenly





It should look yummy and tasty like this, ready to be  cut into small (or large) squares.




Apart from the cooking time this takes about ten minutes to make.  It freezes really well and can be used as a posh pudding if sliced thinly and served with fresh fruit and creme fraiche.  I usually double the amount and freeze one as it takes as much effort to make two as one


Here it is ready to be demolished by the hungry hoards after school



It never ever lasts for long!

7 comments:

  1. what could be better - a useful Christmas present that looks gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace - I'm really enjoying your baking posts, keep them up - don't know how you do it, really admire anyone who can bake and your cakes look delicious. I made lemon meringue pie the other day and when I put it in the cooker to brown off the meringue the filling melted into liquid and made puddles in my cupcake baking tray beneath. I'm hopeless, once made carrot & ginger cake but forgot to add carrots and ginger! Maybe I can learn from your blog and actually make something than looks and tastes amazing one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I covet your blender lol.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grace,
    Thank you for your comments over at mine. The lemon cake looks wonderful, I love lemon, even the word, I don't know why. Silly me. I need a food mixer so I can make meringues, my arm is always stiff before the egg whites haha. Have a lovely day.
    Lots of love,
    Emma xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cor I'd love one of those mixers! One day!

    The cake looks yummy!

    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy cake. Yummy stylish mixer too, I have one in blue.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lovely and what a fab new mixer you have, very groovy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, they really do brighten my day!